Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grovely Dingle 27/01

Just back in from visiting the patch, spent about 2.5hours there and covered the whole of Grovely Dingle.

Starting off along the public footpath as usual had a Buzzard fly over and a fair few Blue Tits easily 15+, a single Starling flew over and a small mixed flock of Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch where in the hedge. There were no sign of any Moorehen on the small pool at the top probably frozen out by the big freeze!

Dropping down into the small beech wood at the top everything seemed very quiet and only a few Woodpigeon were in there. Walking round the back to try and find the badger set that Paul had said was in there at the last Upton Warren work party I soon found loads of tracks all leading to one area where the set was. They had obviously been digging very recently as there was a lot of freshly moved soil around the main entrance, gonna go back another day when its dark and see if I can see any.

Instead of cutting down into the Dingle I decided to carry on along the footpath and try and find the proper entrance to the reserve. A nice flock of Long Tailed Tits were along Wast Hill Lane and I soon found the entrance. 3 Stock Dove flew over and along the reserves path a bit there were 6+ Bullfinch several Chaffinch and a Treecreeper climbed a large ash. Going deeper into the wood a Green Woodpecker was yaffling away and also a Great Spotted Woodpecker was calling as well. Looking at tracks in the mud around the stream showed some Pheasant tracks and some other mammal tracks which I shall try to identify when I find the book!

The sun was starting to set and thousands of Woodpigeon were starting to roost in the trees and very nosily flying off as soon as I was spotted! Not much else of note carrying on around the reserve and apart from a few Great Tit and Chaffinch. I heard loud wing beats from low down and was probably a Woodcock but it was behind me and by the time I'd turned round nothing was to be seen. Also 2 female Pheasant tried there best to scare me by flushing fairly close by!

Walking back across the hill a few Blackbird were in the field and a Kestrel finished off the trip nicely.

Also I managed to find the feeding station that Leigh and Tony had set up to attract birds in to ring, but it was mainly empty. I had sent Leigh several emails explaining that I lived locally and I could visit there regularly and refill the feeders there but haven't had any response since new year... Details of their ringing sessions can be found here http://worcestershirewildlifetrust.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh
    patch birding
    keep it up, you'll get results (sooner or later)
    MB

    ReplyDelete